Saturday 9 November 2013

How Raylene became our Surrogate

In 2011 Brett and I really started to talk more and more about having a baby. We went back and forth and all over the place between adoption and surrogacy. Adoption was not an option we felt overly comfortable as Brett and I are a non traditional family and we did not want anyone to be able to hold that against us for being parents. 

At this time we did not have anyone willing to be a surrogate for us and its not really an easy thing to ask someone, "Ohh hey would you mind having a baby for us". How do you ask someone to carry your child for 9 months, give birth to your child then simply hand your baby over to you. Brett and I have been very open with our friends and family about wanting to start a family one day, however not knowing were to start. We have always been embraced with love and support but it still left us not knowing what our next step was going to be.

Then an incredibly beautifully kind hearted friend Raylene approached me one day and said, I would like to be a surrogate for you and Brett. I didn't know what to say, I was taken back as it was the most selfless, beautiful thing someone could ever offer to a couple wanting a family so bad but don't have the ability to start one on there own. As my heart is pounding in my chest I said "YES" we would love if you could do this with us and asked her to talk to her family about it first and we could sit down after. To my surprise she had already spoken to her family and they were just as excited and supportive as she was. 

Raylene and I met 3 years ago as we work together and I have always felt a connection with her. Raylene's quirky sarcastic funny side worked well with my own personality and allowed us to have fun dialogue and banter which in turn made work that much more enjoyable. She is a Mother of 3 and has been with her husband Jeremy for going on 18 years. Over the past few years we have become closer and closer and have had the chance to support each other in the many ups and downs in our own personal lives and through this entire process. Raylene, Jeremy and their 3 children have now become an extension of our family and we could never thank them enough for being part of this very special journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment